+123 456 7890 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway Mountain View, CA 94043

Husband pleads guilty to killing wife burying her body in Calgary yard

first_imgCALGARY – A man has been sentenced to life in prison for killing his wife because he wanted her to “stop talking” before hiding her body outside the home they shared.Joshua Burgess, 31, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder Monday on what was supposed to be the first day of his trial in Calgary.Comedian and aspiring actress Shannon Madill, who was 25, was reported missing Dec. 1, 2014, after failing to show up for a family event.Crown prosecutor Susan Pepper told court the couple had dated for four years before getting married, but it wasn’t long before the marriage was in trouble.She said Madill and Burgess were separated and dating other people in November 2014 and Madill was packing up her belongings for a “dream job” in Edmonton.Pepper said Burgess came in after midnight on Nov. 27 and the two started talking and had sex on the couch. But it wasn’t long before the pair were arguing.“Shannon said things to the accused that night that he did not want to hear. She told him that she regretted marrying him and she did not need him,” Pepper read from an agreed statement of facts.“In an attempt to get her to stop talking, the accused put his hand over Shannon’s mouth. This did not work and she bit him. The accused then got on top of Shannon and strangled her with both of his hands so that she could not speak or scream.”Court heard Burgess put Madill’s body into a plastic container and moved it to the patio of their home where it remained until spring. That’s when he buried her in the front yard and covered the spot with dirt, branches and cement slabs.He admitted what he had done when officers arrived on July 2, 2015, with a search warrant for the home.“I killed Shannon,” he said to police.Several members of Madill’s family detailed the pain they felt upon hearing that she had been murdered and that Burgess had pretended not to have any idea why she was missing.“The ability to look a person in the eyes, knowing you’re the cause of all the pain and suffering that you see, and act like you know nothing. No amount of time will ever be enough to make up for what he’s taken from us,” said the victim’s brother, Tyler Madill.David Madill told court he felt he had failed his daughter by not keeping her safe, but never thought Burgess was a threat.“I feel a significant amount of betrayal. Josh was not some stranger on the street, but rather someone we had welcomed into the family,” Madill said as he choked back tears.Lisa Madill said there isn’t a day that she doesn’t relive the horror of her daughter’s disappearance and death.“There is a hole in my heart that will never heal,” she said. “He kept us dangling in limbo for seven horrible months.”Burgess read an apology to the family members prior to his sentencing for the “anguish and pain” that he had caused.“They put trust in me that I did not deserve and I failed all of you in that.”Justice Patrick Sullivan accepted a joint recommendation from the Crown and defence that Burgess be eligible for parole after 10 years.“As a result of the guilty plea, the Madill family will not have to bear witness to the excruciating details of this crime,” Sullivan said.“The details are gruesome, painful and undignified, and the Crown recognizes the significance of the guilty plea in reducing the period of parole ineligibility.”— Follow @BillGraveland on TwitterNote to readers: This is a corrected story. An earlier version said Madill was the common-law wife of Burgess.last_img read more

Read More »

The Heat Do as Much Damage in the Fourth Quarter as in

With just over five minutes left in Game 2 of the NBA’s Eastern Conference finals and the Miami Heat trailing by three, LeBron James threw a wild alley-oop attempt toward Dwyane Wade. The ball sailed 10 feet over Wade, off the backboard and into the hands of Indiana Pacers center Roy Hibbert. At that point, the win probability models at InPredictable gave the Heat just a 29 percent chance of winning.Then the Heat turned those probabilities inside out, outscoring the Pacers 15 to 8 in the last five minutes of the game; James and Wade scored all 15 points.Poof! After a frustrating fourth-quarter performance by Indiana, its home-court advantage was gone. The series is tied 1-1.Maybe we should have seen this coming; end-of-game struggles have been all too common for the Heat’s opponents in these playoffs. Through Tuesday night, the Heat have outscored their opponents by an average of 14.7 points per 100 possessions in the fourth quarter, the best mark by any team in the playoffs.Miami Heat Point Differential Per 100 PossessionsThe Heat’s differential by quarter was fairly even in the regular season, although there’s a tilt toward the second half. Miami has often gotten off to slow starts in the playoffs, but, more often than not, the Heat have finished by blowing teams apart down the final stretch. If we narrow the focus to those mystical “clutch” moments (less than five minutes left in the game, neither team ahead by more than five points) the Heat’s per 100 possession point differential jumps to a ludicrous +82.1 (of course, that’s in a sample of just 14 minutes, three of which came in Tuesday night’s game).Seeking matchups to exploit in the fourth quarter has been part of a consistent pattern in the Heat’s rotations. Nine different five-man units have played at least five or more fourth-quarter minutes for the Heat in the playoffs, compared with just four such units in the first quarter. Of those nine units, six have a positive point differential. Only one of those first-quarter units does.Case in point: In Game 2, guard Norris Cole and big man Chris Anderson gave the Heat a boost of energy and defensive intensity off the bench in the first half. Seeing how effective those two were early in this game, Erik Spoelstra, the Heat’s coach, left them in for almost the entire fourth quarter. The key stretch, when the Heat turned a four-point deficit into a six-point lead, came when Cole and Anderson were playing with James, Wade and Chris Bosh. That lineup had not played a single minute for the Heat in the playoffs before Game 2.The Pacers have shown they can compete with, and beat, the Heat. But doing that four times in a series will require much more in-game consistency, because on most nights the Heat are building toward something. read more

Read More »

Paul George Blasted by NY Judge in Paternity Case

Paul George, the Indiana Pacers star forward, was lambasted by New York judge Matthew Cooper in his paternity case involving a 5-month-old he fathered with former stripper Daniela Rajic.“Even though it is all but certain that [George] is the father of the 5-month-old baby girl at the center of this case,” the New York Post reports that Cooper wrote, “he has gone to every length imaginable to avoid taking responsibility for his actions.”Those lengths include requesting the case be heard in federal court. That was denied, and so Paul then brought a competing proceeding in Florida, where they first had sex, at the Fontainebleu Hotel in Miami. The baby, however, was conceived in California and born in New York, so the fatherhood question rests in New York.Insulting to Cooper was that George, while trying to avoid paternity in New York, is asking for full custody in Florida because Rajic is unemployed.“It is beyond comprehension how [George] could vouch for his skill at caring for the child while disparaging [Rajic’s] abilities when he has never even seen the child, asked to see the child, or offered to provide for the child’s needs,” Cooper wrote in the 10-page decision.George missed a court appearance after breaking his leg in August, which did not sit well with Cooper because the player was still “able to attend press conferences, travel for recreation and ride in his new Ferrari.”Cooper blames the lawyers of Gordon & Rees for bringing the failed federal claim with statements that were “complete and utter fabrication.”The lawyers, C. Anthony Mulrain and Mercedes Colwin, tried to move the state court matter to federal court under false pretenses, claiming it was a child support case when Rajic was only asking for paternity to be resolved. Cooper called the move “an egregious abuse of court resources” that likely violates the state’s professional conduct code.”Rajic’s lawyer, Raoul Felder, said, “On behalf of our client we are, of course, gratified.” read more

Read More »

Another sink hole unearthed in Provo this time near Ianthe Pratt Primary

first_img Related Items:#magneticmedianews, #rainyweatheropensholeinroad, #sinkholenearIanthePrattPrimary Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppTurks and Caicos, May 19, 2017 – Providenciales – The incessant rain has unearthed a deep and possibly huge sink hole or vertical cave near the Ianthe Pratt Primary school in The Bight and yesterday, the Ministers of Home Affairs and Public Works stumbled upon the problem.  Crossing Guard WC Stubbs was there and explained that it was he who put a large branch into the hole to prevent motorists and children from accidentally falling the deep dark hole, which is about a foot wide.  Magnetic Media spotted the scene and upon our inspection found that the hole was several feet deep and seemed to extend well beyond the area where the asphalt roadway had already fallen in.  The hole, said Stubbs has been there a week now and yesterday, Public Works was due to check it to determine what should be the next move.  S ink holes or underground caves can easily swallow up cars.    The nearby school is home to around 500 primary school aged children; Mr. Stubbs told Magnetic Media that during school hours he is watching out for them.#MagneticMediaNews#sinkholenearIanthePrattPrimary#rainyweatheropensholeinroad Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApplast_img read more

Read More »

Jamaica to benefit from US 752 million grand funding

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Jamaica, October 18, 2017 – Kingston – Jamaica is set to benefit from an initial US$7.52 million in grant funding under the ninth cycle of the Caribbean Development Bank’s (CDB) Basic Needs Trust Fund (BNTF 9).   The money will go towards the areas of education, transportation, enterprise development, and water and sanitation, through projects implemented by the Jamaica Social Investment Fund (JSIF).The allocation is part of a provision of US$40.8 million being made available to nine Caribbean borrowing member countries of the CDB, under the BNTF.   The BNTF is the flagship poverty-reduction programme of the CDB, aimed at contributing to improvement in the living conditions of poor and vulnerable communities in participating countries.Speaking at the official launch of the project today (October 17) at the Courtyard Marriott hotel in New Kingston, Minister of Finance and the Public Service, Hon. Audley Shaw, said the initiative will assist in empowering the lives of beneficiaries.“We are quick to get these funds in the hands of the JSIF, because we know that when it comes to the JSIF, we get every bang for the buck; we get good performance.   They have projects done on time (and) within budget, and we are really proud of the JSIF as one of the outstanding public-sector agencies in Jamaica,” he said.The Minister lauded the CDB for implementing the programme, adding that poverty reduction is a crucial component for economic growth and development.   He said the BNTF will assist in improving the lives of the country’s most vulnerable, particularly in the areas of education and human development.Meanwhile, Director, Projects Department, CDB, Daniel Best, informed that Jamaica is also eligible to benefit from an unallocated incentive amount of US$5.2 million, to be distributed at midterm based on project performance.“These funds are to be carefully targeted through an evidence-based country policy framework or action plan, which responds to poverty, particularly in rural areas,” he said.Mr. Best noted that through the BNTF, the CDB supports governments in their poverty-reduction efforts by promoting socio-economic activities, environmental protection and sustainable development.“Over the years, BNTF has formed specific partnerships, mainly with public works, water sector, and national training institutions. Under BNTF 9, however, we are committed to leveraging additional resources beyond our traditional funding sources to accelerate progress on poverty reduction,” he said.Managing Director, JSIF, Omar Sweeney, said BNTF 9 will continue to build on programmes that support education, transportation, road access, drainage and water supply.“We will also introduce a component for enterprise development, and that will focus on agriculture and tourism, and developing new technology for persons in the rural areas to really have a sustainable livelihood,” he said.The ninth cycle of the BNTF will continue to finance sub-project interventions in core priority sectors of water and sanitation, basic community access and drainage, and education and human resource development, including livelihoods.    Encouraging greater private-sector partnership has been built into the programme design to leverage additional resources for reducing poverty.The core purpose of the project will be to facilitate the development of rural communities through increased access to basic services, thereby advancing Jamaica’s thrust towards full rural development.   The project is to be completed by December 31, 2020.The BNTF is one of the longest-running regional poverty-reduction programmes in the Caribbean, and stands out in the global development arena for its community-driven approach tailored for the Caribbean context.Release: JIS Related Items:last_img read more

Read More »

Liverpool considering bid for United States star Weston McKennie

first_imgEnglish Premier League side Liverpool are reportedly targeting Schalke 04 youngster Weston McKennie this transfer window.Liverpool are currently leading the League table ahead of defending Champions Manchester City but manager Jurgen Klopp wants to add to his squad in a bid to have a formidable team.McKennie is seen as a good addition to the Liverpool squad which has been impressive in Europe since the arrival of Jurgen Klopp and a bid of £20m could be made before the end of the month, according to Sports Mole.Although Mckennie still has three-and-a-half years remaining on his contract with Schalke, it is most unlikely he will remain with the Bundesliga side as his impressive run of form which has seen him become a first-team player may likely influence his move to a bigger club in Europe.Roberto Firmino, LiverpoolVirgil van Dijk praises Roberto Firmino after Liverpool’s win Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Virgil van Dijk hailed team-mate Roberto Firmino after coming off the bench to inspire Liverpool to a 3-1 comeback win against Newcastle United.Mckennie also plays for the United States National football team and has earned seven caps so far.The 20-year-old has already established himself as a first-team player at Schalke, with a total of 45 outings coming in the senior ranks since May 2017.The midfielder – who has three-and-a-half years remaining on his contract – has also earned seven caps for the United States.last_img read more

Read More »

San Diego jury ruled in favor of El Cajon police officer who

first_imgSan Diego jury ruled in favor of El Cajon police officer who fatally shot an unarmed Ugandan immigrant in 2016 Posted: July 31, 2019 KUSI Newsroom, July 31, 2019 KUSI Newsroom SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – A San Diego jury ruled in favor today of an El Cajon police officer who fatally shot an unarmed Ugandan immigrant in 2016.The suit was the only one of several to go to trial regarding the shooting of Alfred Olango, 38, who was killed on Sept. 27, 2016, by El Cajon officer Richard Gonsalves. Olango was shot four times after pulling what turned out to be a vape smoking device out of his pants pocket.Jurors deliberated for about an hour before ruling unanimously that Gonsalves was not negligent in shooting Olango. Olango’s sister, Lucy, witnessed the shooting and filed suit againstGonsalves and the city of El Cajon. Other plaintiffs who filed separate suits that were consolidated into the case include Olango’s wife, Taina Rozier, andOlango’s daughter, Chare Rozier-Olango.Gonsalves was initially called to the scene by Olango’s sister, who requested help with her mentally unstable younger brother, according to court documents.Alfred told Lucy he was afraid that people were following him, according to the plaintiff’s trial brief. He also began walking into traffic and was nearly struck by several cars in the early afternoon hours of Sept. 27. Lucy Olango alleged that Gonsalves “needlessly escalated” the situation into “a deadly confrontation,” while Gonsalves alleged that Olango refused to take his hand out of his pocket following “repeated requests,” then took a “shooter’s stance” and leveled what Gonsalves thought was a gun at the officer’s head.Lucy Olango alleged that she told a 911 dispatcher that her brother was unarmed and told Gonsalves at the scene that he didn’t have a gun.In addition to the jury’s findings, the shooting was deemed legally justified by the San Diego County District Attorney’s office in early 2017. Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Read More »