How To Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning This Winter

first_imgSatathite: “Carbon Monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is produced by incomplete combustion, and it attacks the body by displacing oxygen, basically making you suffocate.”  According to Satathite it is recommended that you change out your CO detectors every seven years, and that they are checked monthly to ensure they are in working order. The warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning can be subtle. But the condition is a life-threatening medical emergency. If you think you or someone you’re with may have carbon monoxide poisoning, get into fresh air and seek emergency medical care. Carbon monoxide is often referred to as the silent killer as it is odorless and invisible and can easily be mistaken for altitude sickness. Symptoms include headache, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and difficulty breathing.SymptomsSigns and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include:Dull headacheWeaknessDizzinessNausea or vomitingShortness of breathConfusionBlurred visionLoss of consciousnessCarbon monoxide poisoning can be particularly dangerous for people who are sleeping or intoxicated. People may have irreversible brain damage or even die before anyone realizes there’s a problem. Satathite: “Really important this time of year with additional heating, it can certainly be introduced into the house. It’s very important to have one outside of every sleeping area of the home and on every floor. If someone is concerned whether or not they have a good detector we can come in and do a check for CO in the house and check to make sure the detectors are working.”  FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Firefighters say it is crucial you have a carbon monoxide detector, especially when we get a lot of snow.  Sam Satathite, Engineer with the Kenai Fire Department, said carbon monoxide can be deadly and it’s extremely dangerous because it is odorless. So, without a detector, you wouldn’t know it is there.last_img